Thursday, November 14, 2019

Grandpa Haws Turned 90!

A couple months ago I was talking to Ragnar and I mentioned wishing I could be there for my grandpa's 90th birthday as he is getting older and I don't know when I could get out to see him. Well, being the amazing husband he is, he called me a little later and said, you should go, it wouldn't be too many flight miles. So, I called my mom and dad who were already going and then got my sister Marisa on board and we went to Utah for his birthday.
I flew into Salt Lake City, Utah on his birthday, November 1, 2019. My cousin Ryan Jackson was kind enough to pick me up from the airport and let me ride with his family to Vernal. When we got there I first met up with my sisters and parents and Grandma Wall who is 94 and also lives there first. 
She still looks great! Unfortunately she is having some nerve pain in her leg so she was having a hard time walking for a couple days. 
We went over to see my grandpa and wish him a happy birthday that afternoon.
His house looks the same as I remember. 
After we checked in and said hello, we went to Don Pablos and had dinner with all the Jackson cousins. 
There was a big crew of them and it was fun to see them all.
On Saturday we did the big party celebration! Grandpa came in with this silly hat and wig! I love his sense of humor and was so glad that although he has been in a lot of pain, he was happy and in a good mood!
The party was put together by my mom and aunts.  
Both my Grandma Wall and Grandpa Haws were happy and well and it's fun that they live in the same town. 
Then my Aunt Laurie brought the cake to sing happy birthday and it slipped and almost landed in his lap ;) haha!! 
They had a slideshow and it was great to see Grandpas life and try and catch up with my cousins and Aunts and Uncles.  
At the party they had a lot of my grandpa's art work displayed, and he is a fantastic artist. 
After the party we took my Grandma to Cold Stone as she and my dad love ice cream! 
That evening my parents had a family meeting, so my sisters and I played games with Grandma and watched a Hallmark movie. She still loves games in her old age! It's been so cold in Utah, but it was not even a half mile to our hotel, so we walked home. I was definitely not in Texas anymore!
Sunday we went to church with Grandpa and then got to see my Uncle Randy and Aunt Jana. 
It was great to see Grandpa and hear him talk about his life and share some time with us.  
That night we went to the cemetery and visited my Grandma Haws and Grandpa Wall and other great grandparents.  
So many family members in that cemetery.
I had stayed the nights in the hotel with my sister Marisa and we had a great time catching up! I wish I got to see her more often!
Monday we drove back to Salt Lake and I got to see my friend Ashley for the day and we had a great time. I flew back that evening. It was a quick trip, but one that I will never forget. I am so grateful for the time I had with my grandparents. I don't know when we will be able to get back or how long they will make it, so I really was thankful I was able to sneak away and say hello! I am glad we have forever to work on family relationships. I wish we lived closer to my extended family, but am grateful for the family legacy we have. 

No comments: