Yesterday I got a call from the school nurse. She said she wanted to make me aware of something that happened at school...you're never sure where a call like that is going, but knowing my son I assumed he had gotten hurt. She said he was playing chase at recess with his friends and he tripped and fell and hit his head into a brick wall. (Sounds like my son). So she told me she didn't think he had a concussion but that he was really sleepy..which it was lunchtime and he always is...but that he wasn't dizzy, his eyes were dilating, and he didn't even really cry at all. She said he had a pretty big goose egg on his head and she would feel better if I called his Dr., came and got him, and monitored him. Anyway this is what I saw when I picked him up...after he had had ice on it for 30 min.
He said he felt fine but was tired, so we came home and he slept by me for a little while. As I watched him he wasn't using his wrist for anything so I asked him if it hurt and he said yes that he hurt it trying to brace himself when he fell. So I didn't think much of it, because he wasn't in much pain. He really wanted to go to his last soccer practice of the season so I told him we would try because he looked ok and he did fine there but he fell again and you could tell his wrist was in pain and he wasn't using it when he ran, and so I called the Dr. and we took him in the next day and sure enough he had broken his left wrist. It's always hard for me to tell with him because he is pretty clumsy and he has a high pain tolerance so he falls often and rarely cries. My only inkling to take him in was when I broke my wrist it didn't necessarily hurt, I just couldn't use it and it felt weird. It being a Friday I didn't want to get to the middle of the weekend and have to take him to the Urgent Care or ER if it got worse, so we went to an orthopedic Dr. and he took x-rays, discovered the break, and then set him in a cast. Thankfully it was a removable cast that can get wet. That makes it a little easier. He has to wear it 4-6 weeks. Poor guy really isn't in any pain, he just has to learn to walk/run not using two left feet! Here's to hoping our next son will be a little less clumsy!
He looks like he is dying in pain huh?!?!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment